Friday, October 18, 2013

Fujifilm XF14mm f/2.8R wide angle lens - Very first impression

I finally went out and got myself the new wide angle lens from Fujifilm, the XF14mm f/2.8R. First impresson is that it is very well built! And super sharp! Maybe even sharper than my excellent XF35mm f/1.4. Its size seems perfect for the Fujifilm X-pro1 body. The aperture ring has detents for every 1/3 stop with numbers printed for the full stop values. The aperture ring itself is not as firm as I'd like it to be, so I have to be carefull not to turn it unintentionally. Wide open lens is f/2.8 so it's great to use indoors, especially when one consider the X-camera's high ISO performance too.  The smallest aperture is f/22. 14mm on crop sensor equals 21mm on a full frame sensor, so it's pretty wide.

I've been using a 10-22mm (16-35mm) wide angle zoom for my Canon 7D, and I was wondering if I would find the Fuji lens wide enough for my landscape shots. I've only done a few shots, and I really think this 14mm will do just fine for me. I will be selling my Canon 10-22 zoom now, (and soon maybe the 7D itself - though I still like it together with the EF 70-200mm f/2.8 IS MK2).

I will write more about the Fujifilm XF14mm later on and post more pictures. Unfortunatly the light on my first two days of testing were pretty boring, and I was pressed for time. So here's just two quick snapshots.

Fujfilm X-Pro1 + XF 14mm f/2.8@ f/8, 1/60sec., ISO 800. VSCO Velvia 50.

Fujfilm X-Pro1 + XF 14mm f/2.8@ f/16, 1/120sec., ISO 800. VSCO Velvia 50.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.